Back from AVAR 2006
Some of the papers that interested me the most were:
- Eric Chien's (Symantec) presentation on gadgets
- Igor Muttik's (McAfee AVERT) presentation on the web of sin
- Peter Ferrie's (Symantec) presentation on attacks on Virtual Machine emulators (Slides and Paper on his homepage)
- Kimmo Kasslim's (F-Secure) presentation on kernel malware
- Maksym Schipka's (Messagelabs) presentation on the prevalence of PE Packers in email traffic
The best part about attending conferences such as the ones by AVAR, Eicar and Virus Bulletin are the informational exchange that the attendees do, either officially during the conference presentations, or socially in the gatherings in the restaurants or pubs. I think it's a surprise for folks to realize how much cooperation there is between the different companies and organizations.
Throughout the conference, i was still doing some final revisions to ensure that i can get my subject matter through within the allocated time. The organizers were pretty strict on the timing of the papers! Thankfully, i think i did my presentation without too much of an issue.